Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11 Video

 
 
 
   I always cry during 9/11 videos.
 
 
 
   I made the mistake of not watching the actual event on my own, which I though was a good decision. Until I saw it in class on 9/11's anniversary last year. So the first time I watched it, I burst into tears. Its an emotional event in history, and today as soon as the video started, I was mentally preparing myself for a flood of emotion.
 
 
   It didn't come.
 
 
  I was so fascinated by the tales of the photojournalists as they tried to pull the nation together during a time of crisis that I wasn't slammed with tragedy, only awe. I actually applaud the makers of that video for making me focus on the unsung heroes of that event. I can't even imagine the aftermath of the attack without the photo documentation by those photographers. The reason being that when the first plane hit the World Trade Center, nobody believed that it was truly happening, and nobody thought that it was done on purpose.
 
 
Until the second plane hit.
 
 
   The fact that photographers were able to capture the second plane, poised to strike, was proof. It was not a horrifying nightmare that we could all wake up from. It was not an accident. The pictures all those photojournalists took that day were proof, and for that I'm grateful. We need to remember that day. We need to remember our vulnerability, and our humanity. We need to remember watching our "untouchable" buildings come crumbling down. It hurts, but we need to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment